Tuesday, January 19, 2010

So Ill Prepared


If Chase (my 7yo son) was misbehaving at school I might know how to react. If he was just finding the work difficult I could get him extra help. But he can do the work and is as sweet as the day is long. But he is still having trouble. I went to the school today to talk to his teacher and one of the student councilors. He isn't doing the work. He can't be convinced that he can do it. He has some low self esteem and perhaps some depression. His teacher has conveyed to me that he speaks very highly about me. But admits that his dad is lazy and has little to say about him at all.


I think his lethargy and show of laziness has a lot to do with the break down of my marriage and his father's way of dealing with his anxiety disorder. He is often unengaged and unhelpful with all aspects of life. There is nothing you can give him or take from him to make him change. He is in denial about his own problems and not much help with Chase's.


I am not equipped to fix this. No one can seem to get through to my boy. There is a team of people working with him at school. One of them is ready to drop him because he wont accept the help. Everyone seems to be scratching their heads. His Dr has referred him to Mental Heath but the wait is so long. I'm am terrified that he will never be able to get turned around and live up to his great potential. His aptitude test was second highest in his grade. So why is he doing so poorly?


What am I going to do to save my little boy? He is the sweetest child. He is sensitive and curious and loving. His quiet and layed back. And just shines when he's happy. But his is often sad and anxious. He likes to be alone and doesn't fight for attention. He deserves to be happy and healthy. How do I fix this?

0 comments:

Post a Comment