Monday, January 18, 2010

A Little Pride...

As a rule we go to my mother's every Sunday for supper. When I talked to her on the phone earlier in the day I asked for a healthy meal. She and my sister mad some healthy type lasagna and a big salad. So that was great. I had a small square of lasagna and a bunch of salad light on the dressing. And as I'm feeling good about my meal, and the fact that I am satisfied and not stuffed, my mom pops 2 (count em 2) caramel apple pies in the oven. This makes me nervious. I ♥ me some pie.

When the pie is ready I jokingly say "pie's ready time to go home" and my mom is a little hurt that I wont stay and have some pie. She knows why and is supposidly trying to loose weight herself. But I stand my ground and my dad sticks up for me and tells them to leave me alone. He knows I'd cave to my mom's feelings. It's what I do.

A little back story. My mother has PKD (Polycystic kidney disease) and liver disease. It is hereditary. She is the youngest of 11 kids and 5 of them have it. She has been overweight for as long as I can remember. All her family is overweight. And of course you are supposed to take good care of yourself when you have this disease. I am going to be tested for PKD on Feb 1st. I am the middle of 3. I have many of the symptoms and it is 25-50% likely to be passed on to the child of a carrier of the gene depending on if one or both parents are a carrier. I could also pass it on to my children. (This part scares the bejesus out of me) Point being that i don't want to be 50 and overweight and dealing with this disease like my mom is. I want to live a long (as possible) and healthy life.

So....I am proud of myself for refusing my mom's pie and for sticking to plan. I made it just under 1500 cal yesterday and today. It feels good to build up this confidence in myself. I feel like I don't have to be unhealthy. Like it is a choice. And I am making that choice.

Today was a rough day for me. My youngest son is prone to temper tantrums and my oldest is haveing trouble in shcool (his IQ is highest in the class but doesn't want to do the work). And the two of them did a number on me after school. I still managed NOT to turn to food for comfort. As I so often do.

I'm worried that my youngest son (5) will be overweight. He is a good eater but a little too much. He has just started to get a little on the chubby side since September. He seems to eat nonstop. And is always hungry. I think he is due for a growth spurt but i still worry. I wouldn't want him to have to deal with being overweight. So I'm watching and waiting and trying to throw as mych fruit and veg into his neverending parade of snacks as possible.

So 2 successful days in a row "Plan"wise and I am exhausted. So off to bath some kids and fight over homework.
Cheers
Traceyelaine

0 comments:

Post a Comment